- 5 benefits of beetroot for men
- 1) Healthy antioxidant
- 2) Reduces inflammation
- 3) Boosts nitric oxide
- 4) Lowers blood pressure
- 5) Helps protect the brain
- Can beetroot help erectile dysfunction?
- Nutrition in beets
- 6 recipes to get beetroot in your diet
- Can you eat beetroot raw?
- Who should avoid consuming beets?
- Are there any side effects of eating beetroot?
Beetroot, beet juice, and beetroot powder are often touted as having benefits for erectile dysfunction, blood flow, and the cardiovascular system.
But how much truth is there to this?
In this article, you’ll find a science-backed answer to whether beetroot can help sexually and the benefits of beets for men.
5 benefits of beetroot for men
Beetroot is an excellent vegetable choice for men and women. Here are some benefits of beets for men, according to their health concerns:
1) Healthy antioxidant
Beetroot owes its color to a myriad of phytonutrients. These pigments protect the beetroot plant from solar radiation and oxidative stress.
They can also protect us from free radicals. The antioxidant power is only second in potency to pomegranate juice.
That’s how beetroot protects DNA, proteins, and body tissues. One of the main antioxidants in this veggie is betalain.
This substance protects the cardiovascular system. Thus, beetroot prevents myocardial infarction (heart attack) and may lower blood pressure.
2) Reduces inflammation
One way beetroot can help men sexually is by reducing inflammation.
Inflammation goes hand in hand with oxidative stress. Together, they act on the endothelium and wreak havoc on the cardiovascular system.
Inflammation is responsible for atherosclerosis, which can lead to stroke, heart attack, and erectile dysfunction.
Some medical conditions feature sustained inflammation, such as obesity. Beetroot is rich in anti-inflammatory substances.
A human study showed that consuming beetroots for ten days reduces inflammatory markers in the blood by 33%.
In other words, it decreases the inflammatory substances circulating throughout your body.
3) Boosts nitric oxide
Beetroot is a treat for your cardiovascular system. In particular, it acts on the endothelium. This layer lines the arteries and produces various substances.
By protecting the endothelium, beetroot promotes the production of nitric oxide. This substance is particularly useful in improving circulation and lowering blood pressure. It also plays a role in erectile dysfunction, as seen in the next section.
In addition to protecting the endothelium, beetroot is a good source of nitrates. As you might guess from the name, dietary nitrate is the raw material for nitric oxide.
The gut absorbs almost 100% of these nutrients after consumption. Thus, your endothelium will start working differently.
Get Your FREE Erectile Dysfunction Guide
- Eleven most important herbs to improve erections
- Natural lifestyle changes to reverse erectile dysfunction
- Developed exclusively by our medical doctor
4) Lowers blood pressure
Cardiovascular diseases are more common in men. Take hypertension (high blood pressure) as an example. Atherosclerosis, a lack of nitric oxide, among others, can trigger this condition.
Beetroot fights some of them and naturally reduces high blood pressure levels. In doing so, it improves the oxygenation of muscles and blood flow to critical body tissues.
In healthy patients, it won’t reduce blood pressure. But in hypertensive individuals, beetroot can reduce systolic blood pressure readings by close to 5 mmHg.
5) Helps protect the brain
Another benefit of beetroot for men is related to brain health.
The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory protection of beetroot may also protect the brain. It prevents chronic neurodegenerative conditions, such as Alzheimer’s disease.
Eating beets can also help prevent the decline in cognitive function we naturally experience with age.
In addition, improving blood flow throughout the body includes the brain. Thus, beetroot nitrates increase blood flow to the brain’s frontal lobe.
Better oxygenation in this area boosts brain function, memory, and even reaction time to a stimulus.
Can beetroot help erectile dysfunction?
Beetroot can help erectile dysfunction by boosting nitric oxide, improving blood flow to the penis, and protecting the endothelium.
However, no formal studies confirm the association between beetroot and improved erectile function.
Considering all the health benefits of beetroot, it is worth incorporating beets into your diet and evaluating the effects on your body.
Nutrition in beets
The benefits of beetroot for men mentioned above are excellent. But beetroot also provides many nutrients.
Beets are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. In addition, they are high in fiber, making them suitable for a weight-loss diet.
The table below shows the main nutritional contributions of beetroot:
|Nutritional elements||Concentration in 100 grams||Percentage of daily value|
|Dietary Fiber||2.8 grams||10%|
|Beta carotene||20 mcg||–|
|Vitamin C||4.9 mg||5%|
6 recipes to get beetroot in your diet
There are different ways to incorporate beetroot into your diet. Here are just a few:
- Beetroot and cucumber soup: One of the easiest ways to integrate beetroot is through a soup. You can prepare this soup with cucumber, tomato, eggs, yogurt, and seasonings.
- Eggs with beetroot: This is one of the easiest beetroot recipes. Simply cook some eggs and a couple of beetroots. You can eat them with onion, vinegar, salt, and brown sugar.
- Salmon and beetroot toast: Salmon can taste a little bland. To improve the flavor, chop some beetroot and serve it on toast with a touch of lemon, butter, and fresh dill.
- Beetroot cream: This option is similar to beetroot soup. However, in this case, it is liquefied in a cream. You can use vegetable broth, carrots, potatoes, onions, pumpkin, and some spices to taste.
- Beetroot salad: There are many variations of beetroot salad. It tastes delicious when combined with radish sprouts, currant, and onion. Add a little lemon and honey for a special touch.
- Beetroot pasta: You can use the intense color of beetroot to dye the water and obtain red spaghetti. Also, the beetroot can be sliced and used as part of the sauce.
You can also consume beetroot powder or beet juice.
Can you eat beetroot raw?
Yes, you can. Many people are unaware that they can also eat beetroot raw. Unlike some legumes, it doesn’t have anti-nutrients you should neutralize by cooking.
Indeed, there are a few recipes with raw beetroot. For example:
- You can make beet juice with other vegetables and fruits.
- In salads, you can grate it like carrots.
- You can also prepare crispy chips by slicing and garnishing.
- You can also use ground beetroot to spice your meals.
Who should avoid consuming beets?
Although beneficial, not everyone can eat beetroot. Who should stay away from beetroot?
- Diabetics: Beetroot has a high glycemic index. That means it rapidly increases blood sugar levels and, therefore, may be unsuitable for diabetic patients.
- People taking blood pressure medications: Beetroot can lower blood pressure. If you are already taking medication, it can cause hypotension. Talk to your doctor to ensure you can eat beetroot safely.
- People prone to kidney stones: Do not consume beetroot if you constantly suffer from kidney stones. This food is high in oxalate and may contribute to the problem.
- People with beetroot allergy: People with allergies should not consume beetroot.
Are there any side effects of eating beetroot?
Everything has pros and cons, including healthy foods like beetroot. Some adverse effects you may experience are:
- Hypotension: Beetroot can sometimes cause hypotension. Low blood pressure could occur in people already taking antihypertensive medications.
- Red urine and stools: A red color in the urine and stools can alarm some people. It can happen as a result of beetroot consumption.
- Allergic reactions: Some people may have allergic reactions. Common symptoms include itching and skin rash.
- Reduced calcium absorption: Beetroot is high in oxalate. This substance can impair calcium absorption.
- Abdominal pain and bloating: Sometimes, beetroot fiber can cause bloating.
- Kidney stones: Oxalate in beetroot can also contribute to the formation of kidney stones.
Beetroot is a vegetable highly recommended for men’s health. Some consider beetroot a natural remedy for erectile dysfunction.
It contains a large amount of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory substances. These nutrients in beetroot can help men sexually by preventing atherosclerosis and decreasing cardiovascular risk.
In addition, another benefit of beetroot sexually for men is that it can help with erectile dysfunction. It contains the raw material to produce nitric oxide and protects the endothelium.
However, no formal studies link beetroot consumption to improved erectile function.